martes, 13 de marzo de 2018

Crafting miniature challenge 5 : Yum!

Dear Readers,

The theme this time for the forum crafting challenge was food related: kitchens, cooking, restaurants, food or eating.


I would have loved to make all the dishes from the Harvester Restaurant menu out of fimo but lack of time and my limited skills to work with polymer clay made me change my mind even before starting.



Then, my real life inspired me to make some miniatures.

A few days ago I left a glass bowl, some eggs and a whisk on the kitchen counter.




I left the kitchen for a minute and when I came back the eggs were broken on the floor.




My three year old son wanted to help me cook!
I recreated that scene at the Kennelworths´ kitchen.I have the feeling Dorothy didn´t get as mad as I did.





I made the eggs with a tiny bit of orange clay and white glue. I knew this glue looked nearly transparent after drying because I had use it for some school art projects.
Here you have the before and after pictures.




For the the broken egg shell I used a bit of white air dry clay. I used the back of a paintbrush to give it shape.




The whisk is quite simple. I wanted to add one more piece of wire but I wasn´t able to do it( and I tried hard!). 


I didn´t take pictures of the process but maybe this picture can give you and idea of how I made it.



A few days later, I made another one.


Look at the size difference between a real one and the mini whisks.



As far as I remember, a whisk is not included in any sylvanian set. I think it is very useful considering most sylvanians like making and baking cakes and biscuits.
Dorothy Kennelworth is one of them.



Today , she had just taken a sponge cake out of the oven and now she is about to bake some chocolate chips cookies.





I don´t remember either any kitchen sets that include a cookie jar so I decided to make a couple of them. If Sylvanians like baking cookies there should have a place to store them (apart from their tummies, of course!)

I also made some chocolate chip cookies out of polymer clay.



Which jar do you think will go to the Kennelworths´s kitchen? 



That was easy!




Who wants a cookie?




For the see through one I use the top of a small spray and grey foam that I painted with silver nail varnish.



The Kennelworths´cookie jar is made out of a red felt tip pen that didn´t work any more.



Then, I printed the label and made the top with red foam painted in red nail varnish.

A few days ago, I asked some of my pupils to classify the felt tip pens we had in class by colours and check if they all work properly.
Some of them didn´t paint any more but I didn´t throw them away. Instead I used them to make some minis.
What do you think of these mugs and the cocoa podwer plastic jar?

Freya and Clara think there´s nothing more comforting than a mug of hot cocoa after a school day.




Even better if there is also a plate of just baked cookies. I made the plate removing and painting the plastic of a metal bottle cap.



I´m afraid Dorothy will have to bake more cookies soon.Oscar will help her, ha,ha!



The mugs and the cocoa plastic jar are also made out of felt tip pens and they can be filled.I lost the cocoa box it came with the supermarket and I made this jar to replace it.




I followed this tutorial

Steps for making the mugs.






A coordinated set. 




I love the tiny mugs!I decorated this one with washi tape.




Nancy Waters who saw me making these miniatures asked me to make some canisters for her kitchen. Once again, a felt tip pen, a bit of foam and washi tape turned these simple materials  into storage canisters.



They are similar to the ones we had in our kitchen when I was a young girl.


Nancy Waters is also happy with her new whisk. Today she is using it to make whipped cream.


Strawberries and cream!

(I made some strawberries out of polymer clay, the cream is body lotion)




Yum! Enjoy them, Nancy!




Thanks for reading!

A big hug!






13 comentarios:

  1. These are amazing miniatures! I like the cracked eggs though I guess that Dorothy doesn't quite agree with me on that!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you so much, Emily! As you can imagine, Dorothy wasn´t happy at all with the mess on the kitchen floor, neither was I when my son broke the eggs but to some point I´m glad the kitchen mess inspired me to make some miniatures.

      Eliminar
  2. So cool crafts, I am in awe! You are very talented, it takes a lot of patience and skill to make all these tiny items look like real! You gave me a lot of useful tips and ideas! Thanks and bravo Cutata!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Sylvanako!
      I love making miniatures for my Sylvanians. It helps me to relax and unwind.I wish I had a room for my craft. It´s a bit annoying having to remove all my craft stuff when I´m in the process of making something and it´s breakfast, lunch or dinner time.

      Eliminar
  3. I love this post :) You are always sooo creative!! I have a question - what are you using for grass and stones in grass in some of your pictures? I hope you understand :)

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hi Sylvanian Poland!
    Thank you very much for your comment! I have two diferent types of grass. One is a grass mat for railway dioramas, the brand is Noch and I bought it at shop that sells miniature trains. If you search eBay or amazon you´ll probably find it there.
    I also use another type of grass that look like proper grass. You can find it in eBay if you search for artificial lawn for fairy gardens.They usually have it in two sizes. If you want to buy it, go for the 30 cm.
    https://www.ebay.es/itm/Cesped-artificial-jardin-de-hadas-dollhouse-miniatura-decotation-Craft-ornamento/142636335817?hash=item2135c9c2c9:m:mc6RSQbmysLP0uM0XhOsNJw

    The stones in grass is paper to make crafts. I bought it at a craft shop in Spain but it was made in Germany. I found a picture of the block I bought but I don´t know where you can buy it.
    https://www.mariposa-toys.de/item/images/99790/1000x1000/VER48149-99790.jpg

    Hope you find this information useful.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Hi cutata! I really like the cracked egg idea and the story behind it- definately going to give that one a try. I doubt dorothy was quite so ecstatic about them though!! I have made the cookie jar+cookies and the strawberries+cream and am very pleased with them. Well done!

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Hi Isla!Thank you very much for your comment! I´m really happy my crafts inspired you to make your own . I´d love to see them!

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Hi cutata! Yes i loved making the crafts. I would like to show you them but not sure if i could post them on your blog as this is probably the only way to do it...

    ResponderEliminar
  8. How did you make the sponge

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi! The sponge is a small piece of a real baked sponge.

      Eliminar